Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pcrane06m

How do you enter your SEP IRA Contributions? The link doesn't seem to work when you search for it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

How do you enter your SEP IRA Contributions? The link doesn't seem to work when you search for it.

A Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) or (SEP-IRA) provides business owners with a simplified method to contribute toward their employees' retirement as well as their own.

Contributions are made to an IRA set up for each plan participant and cannot exceed the lesser of:

• 25% of the compensation paid during the year
  • $57,000 for 2020 ($56,000 for 2019)

Investment, distribution, and rollover rules are the same as traditional IRAs.   You only need to enter SEP IRA contributions made through self-employment work.  If your employer made a SEP IRA contribution for you, then you don’t need to enter it in your return. (While you could contribute more to an employer-sponsored SEP IRA, TurboTax doesn’t support these contributions.)

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stavovh

I also do not get a link when I search for this.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

The text to Where do I enter my SEP IRA contributions? is as follows:

You only need to enter SEP IRA contributions made through self-employment work. If your employer made a SEP IRA contribution for you, then you don’t need to enter it in your return. (While you could contribute more to an employer-sponsored SEP IRA, TurboTax doesn’t support these contributions.)

Before you enter your SEP IRA contributions, first make sure you've entered self-employed income. This allows us to calculate the maximum amount you're allowed to contribute to your SEP IRA.

Once your self-employment income is entered:

1. In your return, type SEP IRA contributions (use the whole phrase) in the Search box.
  2. Select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. This will take you to the Self-Employed Retirement Plans screen.
    • If you get a message that Self-Employed Retirement Plans are only for self-employed individuals, this means that you have not entered any self-employed income.
  4. TurboTax will ask you about whether you contributed to different types of retirement plans. Select Yes to Keogh, SEP, and SIMPLE Contributions.
  5. On the Your Contributions screen, you’ll be able to input your SEP IRA contributions.

If you're self-employed, you can contribute to your own SEP-IRA. Contributions have to be in the form of money.  You can't contribute property.

kwsimons

Where is this information submitted in Turbotax Premier?  Form 5305 for SEP contributions is not available.  And when I fill out the Keogh/SEP worksheet, the SEP contribution does not decrease my taxes, as it should.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to look on your tax return to see if there is an entry for your SEP contribution on line 15 of schedule 1, Part II. You can see that schedule and form 1040 while working online with TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Tools (left side of the menu bar)
  2. Tax Tools 
  3. View Tax Summary
  4. Preview my 1040 (left menu bar)
idealmike

The given instructions do not work for me, and other people have reported the same. There is no jump link to the Self-Employed Retirement Plans screen.

@idealmike wrote:

The given instructions do not work for me, and other people have reported the same. There is no jump link to the Self-Employed Retirement Plans screen.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen.

Click on Tools.

Click on Topic Search.

Type in self-employed retirement.

With the key words highlighted, click on GO.

none of the instructions from turbotax worked for me.

I was able to enter SEP IRA contributions using the following: (using 2021 premier)

navigate to:

Federal income summary

business items

business deductions / credits

update

self employment retirement

(I found the "Maximize" button didn't work, but if you put in a number that is too high, it tells you what the maximum is on the next page)

trietz

I'm using Turbo Tax Deluxe.  These instructions DO NOT WORK.  Can you tell me where to enter our SEP IRA contributions in Turbo Tax Deluxe (i.e., NOT the online Turbo Tax)?  Thank you.  

Use the Search box.  Type in "self-employed retirement".  Clicking on "Jump to self-employed retirement" it should take you directly to the Self-Employed Retirement Plans screen.

Go to Federal

Income

Scroll down to Other Business Situations

Self Employed Retirement Plans

Where to enter your SEP IRA contribution

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/help/where-do-i-enter-my-sep-ira-contributions/00/26783

trietz

Thank you!  

tried it and it doesn't work upper case or lower

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If the 'jump to links' don't work, navigate to the 'Less Common Business Situations' section to enter your SEP IRA contributions located under Wages & Income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies