Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rbakous1

How do I spread the early tsp withdrawal tax over three years under the CARES ACT?

I want to spread the tax burden over the next three years what is the process? TurboTax doesn’t provide the form
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

How do I spread the early tsp withdrawal tax over three years under the CARES ACT?

This option will be selected on a Form 8915-E.  The IRS has not yet finalized the Form 8915-E for retirement plan distributions under the CARES act, so this form cannot be included in the TurboTax program.

The IRS has not communicated when the form will be finalized for inclusion on the 2020 federal tax return.

We estimate it will be sometime in February 2021 before the form is available.  You can watch this link for the form availability.  Currently, the form is not listed here since there is no estimated date.  Once there is, you will find the form listed with the date available.  

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So once the form is finalized and released by the IRS it should be available in TurboTax and will be able to do it there correct?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes! We are just waiting on the IRS to go through forms. Once they release it, we will incorporate it, test it and make it available for use. 

Here is what the IRS has About Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Use for Cor...

You can see it is marked draft.

Fangelica

It appears that form 8915e from the IRS is ready. How does that change the way TT handles cares act related withdrawals, because I'm inputting the info off of my 1099-R and it is still applying the 10% early withdrawal penalty??

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The release date for the 8915-E has been extended until tomorrow 02/26. Please sign-up here and we will email you once the form is live in case if the date is extended further.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies