turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I claim a 1099-R from a Cares Act 401k withdrawal? I do not see an option to spread it over three years as the IRS site claims.

I took money out of 401k, and they took 10% out for taxes already.  However when I claim this income my refund is greatly reduced.  Checking on the IRS site claims it can be spread over three years, however there is no entry I can find in Turbo Tax to accommodate this option
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

64 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

How do I claim a 1099-R from a Cares Act 401k withdrawal? I do not see an option to spread it over three years as the IRS site claims.

Form 8915 -E is not yet finalized by the IRS. When it is, you can finish your distribution information.

Those who qualify as individuals directly impacted by the pandemic will be able to withdraw up to $100k from their retirement accounts without facing the 10% early withdrawal penalty.

You qualify if:

• You, your spouse, or your dependent are diagnosed with COVID-19
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, furloughed, or laid off
  • You had work hours reduced to COVID-19
  • You’re unable to work due to child care closure or hour reduction

The distribution would be taxed over 2020, 2021, and 2022. You’ll have that time to pay back the funds you withdrew, without the amount impacting that year’s cap on contributions, and if you pay back the amount within that time, you’ll be able to claim a refund on those taxes.

If a payor is treating the payment as a coronavirus-related distribution and no other appropriate code applies, the payor is permitted to use distribution code 2 (early distribution, exception applies) in box 7 of Form 1099-R.

Thank you! Does the IRS have an idea of when the form will be ready?  Would this require additional paperwork from T-Rowe Price? Or an update to Turbo-Tax?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

No additional paperwork will be needed from T-Rowe Price.

The IRS has not communicated when the form will be finalized for inclusion on the 2020 federal tax return.

We estimate it will be sometime in February 2021 before the form is available.  You can watch this link for the form availability.  Currently, the form is not listed here since there is no estimated date.  Once there is, you will find the form listed with the date available.  

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Additionally, the IRS will not start processing returns until February 12, so waiting for this form is not slowing down the processing of your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
larajen

I am following this feed but I have an additional question...I had excessive medical expenses this year due to being on COBRA after furlough/elimination of my job so that is one reason that I made the withdrawal. When I answer the questions on the 401 K early withdrawal section of Turbo Tax, it tells me that I do not have to pay taxes since the withdrawal is used for medical expenses. I already payed 20% when I withdrew the funds. I assume this is added to my tax contributions for the year. Will I still have to pay this back in 3 years or pay taxes later?

Thanks for clarifying!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You will report this on a Form 8915-E.  The IRS has not yet finalized the Form 8915-E for retirement plan distributions under the CARES act.  So this form cannot be included in the TurboTax program.  You will not be able to proceed until the form is available.

The IRS has not communicated when the form will be finalized for inclusion on the 2020 federal tax return.

We estimate it will be sometime in February 2021 before the form is available.  You can watch this link for the form availability.  Currently, the form is not listed here since there is no estimated date.  Once there is, you will find the form listed with the date available.  

Additionally, the IRS will not start processing returns until February 12, so waiting for this form is not slowing down the processing of your return.

vsage87

On the 1099 form we received it shows code 1, so reading what shows on the initial question, does that mean that we can change the code to '2'? Or do we do that on the form 8915?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, do not change the code - leave it as a 1.   When the form is ready, TurboTax will be updated to apply the tax relief to your Form 1099-R as it is.   All you have to do is enter the form as is and wait until the update occurs.   Then you will go in and answer the questions about the distribution being due to covid and Turbo Tax will take care of the rest.  @vsage87

WellieBoots
Returning Member

My 401K wouldn't allow or approve COVID/hardship withdrawls.  I pulled money out an used most of it for medical bills, but not all (Not good, I know).  I was unfortunately issued a 1099-R with a distribution code 1.

I got hit with the 20% withdrawl penalty at the time of withdrawl which I accept.  Now the 10% early withdrawl penalty is being assessed on my taxes, though the taxable amount has been reduced with what I spent on medical bills (but not dollar for dollar).

However, can I spread the 10% penalty tax amount out over three (3) years?  How do I do this?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You will report this on a Form 8915-E.  The IRS has not yet finalized the Form 8915-E for retirement plan distributions under the CARES act.  So this form cannot be included in the TurboTax program.  You will not be able to proceed until the form is available.

Please sign-up here and we will email you once the form is live.

so you do not put this on form 1099R at all, just complete the info on the 8915-E?  When I fill it out on the 1099R then the 8915-E it doubles the withdrawal amount

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@laurie9699

As employees, we received this update today, 

Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, which is used for COVID-related early distributions, will be e-fileable starting 2/24.

The IRS is updating form 5329’s instructions to make it clear that COVID related exceptions cannot use 5329 and should use the new 8915-E.

If you go to the IRS site, you see the word draft beside the form. It is not available yet. Once the IRS, hopefully, releases it on 2/24, then we can work to incorporate it into the program quickly.

Can we get an update on this -  the IRS is now accepting returns, how can this not be available?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS just started accepting returns today.   However, they are not accepting returns with Form 8915-E included yet.   They are finalizing the forms now.   Once finalized, the form has to be coded for electronic processing and tested before the IRS will approve a vendor's (TurboTax) use of the form for electronic processing.     The form is tentatively scheduled to be released around 02/24.    Form 8915-E is not the only form that is not ready.   Anyone the uses a form that has not been finalized cannot e-file until their forms are all finalized.    @Gcdfranklin

Is form 8915-E now available in TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies