Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E

Yes -  Form 8915-E is available in both the CD/Download and online versions of TurboTax. 

Please make sure your program is up-to-date.  In TurboTax CD/Download, you will be prompted to download any updates available when you open the program.  You can also update the program while you have it open by following these steps:

1. Click on the Online link in the black bar at the top of the page.
  2. Click on Check for Updates.
  3. TurboTax will download and install any updates available.  If there aren't any updates, you will receive the message "Your software is up to date."

Once your program is updated, go back through the 1099-R portion of the program and proceed through the screens following the 1099-R entry screen. 

• You will see a series of questions to see if you are exempt from the additional taxes on early withdrawals [Screenshot #1, below]; and 
  • You will  be asked if you want to pay all the tax this year of just 1/3, with the rest reported over the next two years. [Screenshot #2]  Check the box if want to pay tax on the entire retirement distribution in 2020.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

@Slobo1

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E

Yes -  Form 8915-E is available in both the CD/Download and online versions of TurboTax. 

Please make sure your program is up-to-date.  In TurboTax CD/Download, you will be prompted to download any updates available when you open the program.  You can also update the program while you have it open by following these steps:

1. Click on the Online link in the black bar at the top of the page.
  2. Click on Check for Updates.
  3. TurboTax will download and install any updates available.  If there aren't any updates, you will receive the message "Your software is up to date."

Once your program is updated, go back through the 1099-R portion of the program and proceed through the screens following the 1099-R entry screen. 

• You will see a series of questions to see if you are exempt from the additional taxes on early withdrawals [Screenshot #1, below]; and 
  • You will  be asked if you want to pay all the tax this year of just 1/3, with the rest reported over the next two years. [Screenshot #2]  Check the box if want to pay tax on the entire retirement distribution in 2020.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Form 8915-E

Still not allowing me to submit the Michigan return. I get an error saying they are waiting on updates to the 8915-E. I called yesterday and spoke with TT cust service. They advised me to call MI Dept of Revenue which I did. MI informed me there is not a state level 8915-E form, and the update was an issue on the TT side, not with the state. So any idea when this will be fixed? 

Form 8915-E

Is it true that the IRS requires the Form 8915-E to be filed by mail? I've waited weeks with my returns ready only to be told this over the phone with a representative.

Form 8915-E

@Curtid33 I don't think so I filed with TT yesterday and efiled had no problems!

Form 8915-E

@Curtid33 wrote:

Is it true that the IRS requires the Form 8915-E to be filed by mail? I've waited weeks with my returns ready only to be told this over the phone with a representative.

What you were told is incorrect.  The Form 8915-E can be e-filed or printed and mailed.

The Form 8915-E will only be generated after you complete entry of a Form 1099-R and answer the questions about the withdrawal being due to Covid-19.

Form 8915-E

Thank goodness

Form 8915-E

Fun, fun, fun

Form 8915-E

@teensarefun wrote:

.  I am using the online version and updated my program with all updates. 

That does not make sense.   *You* cannot update the *online* version, you can only update the desktop version  installed on your own computer.

Which are you using?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Form 8915-E

Sorry, I am on the Desktop version.  I have requested to run all updates twice and it states that was completed. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E

If you edit your 1099-R, are you not seeing the covid questions?   @teensarefun

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8915-E

I do see it now, THANK YOU!

Form 8915-E

I keep getting this error regarding the Pensions/Annuities/IRAs Worksheet for New York State. It shows me how much I've withdrawn from my 401k for Covid-related reasons. I hit Continue. It brings me back to "Fix my New York return" where it shows me  the same page as before.

Also accompanied is the following "We're still working on updates related to Retirement Distributions that qualify for disaster or covid relief. You can keep working on your return and we'll remove this message when it's ready"

My token number is: 760828 (what I received when I selected Share with Agent) .  Hoping someone can advise

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E

We’ve identified an issue in your state tax return due to an error in our software. We’ve fixed this and apologize for any inconvenience. You’ll need to sign in to your TurboTax account and review your retirement income, as the NY Pension Exclusion entries may have changed.   Choose your platform below.   @Curtid33

TurboTax Online Instructions

TurboTax CD/Download Instructions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8915-E

I worked out with an agent for the same issue in Michigan, trying to find a workaround. We finalky found it by updating the pension amount to  "0" in that page. We tried leaving it blank and it did not work. 

After that update we e-file with no issues. She states this change won't affect the tax return at all, as the distribution was reported perfectly fine, federal and State.

I hope this help. Anyways, try to connect with a livr agent to get confirmation.

Regards

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies