Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering dividends for a Money Mkt fund. Some were received from US Gov't interest. I check the box and enter the amount, but it's stuck on Needs Review. Turbo Tax bug?

My 1099-DIV tells me the portion that was from US Gov't interest. I check the box for that and enter the amount, but I can't get it out of the Needs Review state. Seems like a Turbo Tax bug. How can I fix or report this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Entering dividends for a Money Mkt fund. Some were received from US Gov't interest. I check the box and enter the amount, but it's stuck on Needs Review. Turbo Tax bug?

"My 1099-DIV tells me the portion that was from US Gov't interest. "

Can you tell me which box on the 1099-DIV you are referring to?

@terry31

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The amount of interest from US Gov't obligations isn't reported on a box of the 1099-DIV, but it comes in a separate sheet from Vanguard. It lists each of their mutual funds along with a percentage of income from US Gov't obligations. In my case it was 31.42% so I multiply box 1a by .3142 to get the amount that I enter into Turbo Tax after checking the box for "Some of the dividends were from US Government obligations." I've done this every year for this Money Market mutual fund, but this year Turbo Tax keeps it in a Needs Review state. It seems like a bug in the program.

@terry31    @BillM223 

Yes, that's a software bug, but only in the Online software, not in the Desktop software.

It's only become apparent  to a bunch of people in the last few days as the big brokerages started releasing their 1099-DIV forms.

I've poked a few people to make sure it gets reported, but don't have any feedback as to whether t has.  

@BillM223    You can enter the $$ amount of US govt bond interest in the 1099-DIV follow-up page, but it isn't kept or saved.  IF you enter it, and then go back later to re-check the form, the $$ value si gone.

IF you enter the value and let it be....then when you go thru the Federal review and error check, it gets flagged as an error, and can't be corrected since any value you enter is wiped out.

IF you can, would you PLEASE, Please, please make sure this software bug has been reported for correction.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I am looking at this - thanks for the response.

I have made a brief Online test in Premier. I added a 1099-DIV, and I checked the "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest" on the "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you" screen. I entered 500 dollars as ordinary dividends and as government interest.

I went to the Review, but there was no error. I returned to the 1099-DIV entry screens, but the 500 for the US govt interest was still there.

Two questions:

1. Is this still failing for you (i.e., or has Online been updated)?

2. If yes, what were the entries in your 1099-DIV interview, in case it is a combination of entries that is causing this.

Thanks and please reply to @ and BillM223 (without the space) so that I will be notified.

@SteamTrain

I just tried again and am still having the issue in the online version. Payer is Vanguard Cash Reserves Federal Money Market Fund, Belongs to "Both of us" (filling jointly), and Box 1a is $284.39. I check the box on the next screen for US Gov't interest and enter $89.36 . I click continue and it goes back to the Needs Review state. I tried using the same amount for Box 1a and US Gov't interest, and I tried saying it belongs to just me, not both of us. I even tried using a different payer name. Same problem. Still Needs Review. Very strange. Thank you for looking into this.

@BillM223 @SteamTrain 

@BillM223   thanks

Still occurring in my Online Premier file.

1)  I tried in both Chrome and Edge...no change

2)  I deleted all my 1099-DIV forms and added a new one, all manual entry....no change

3)  I went in and deleted my Schedule B to erase all 1099-INT and 1099-DIV forms and make sure there was no strange random something going on in the background...then created two new 1099-DIV forms manually...no change.

Diagnostic File Created for this is # :  724151

MFJ and It has NC as the attached state, and contains two 1099-DIV forms:

1)  Husband/TP:  $500 in box 1a and all other blank...attempted to put $200 as US Govt bonds on the follow-up page.

2) Wife/SP:  $333 in box 1a, $300 in box 1b and all others blank.....attempted to put $100 as US Govt bonds on the follow-up page.

SteamTrain

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Try entering your state in box 13 of the 1099Div screen and then continuing through and see if the review clears.  It may be looking for the state to subtract the US Govt divs from.

Wow, that did the trick! My info is in and it passes review. Many thanks!!

@BillM223 @SteamTrain 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Thanks, gents.

I changed the 1099-DIV to be from "both of us", and the amount disappeared!

Let me work on this.

I appreciate your help!

@SteamTrain

@terry31

@SamS1  @BillM223  @terry31 

GOOD LORD, that works.  (putting NC in box 13)   Even gets thru the Federal Review and error check.

A good workaround,....but that's Just Wrong programming that no user would ever consider doing...nor would a "sane" experienced user .. (  So Sam...apparently you are insane  😉    )

For no 1099-DIV  in any other year in history has that been required  (Been using TTX since 1996) ...and desktop deals with it cleanly without that nonsense....ARRRRGGGH

BillM223
Expert Alumni

I have reproduced the issue and submitted it.

@SteamTrain

@BillM223   @SamS1   @terry31 

For the workaround,  you don't even have to enter your state in box 13....you can just click on the box to expand the form to show the other boxes, and continue to the next pages and that clears the problem, and the $$ show up.

Goodness Gracious.....

ktadsen

I saw a note that this bug had been resolved as of 2 days ago, but as of 2/13/21, it still happened to me and the workaround (entering the state) helped me. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies