turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I move money from a personal Roth or IRA account into a brokerage or high interest bearing account without taking a huge tax hit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I move money from a personal Roth or IRA account into a brokerage or high interest bearing account without taking a huge tax hit?

Why move the money out of the IRA ... why not do the same investments inside the IRA ?  Move the IRA to that broker if needed. 

Any traditional IRA distribution will be taxable and if you dont have an exclusion you will also pay a 10% penalty. 

As for the ROTH ... the contributions can be removed at anytime tax free however once put into a reg broker's account all the income is taxable. 

dmertz
Level 15

It makes no sense to take money out of a Roth IRA just to invest it in a brokerage account outside the Roth IRA.  Invested inside the Roth IRA gains will eventually be tax free.  Invested in the same investment outside the Roth IRA those same gains will be taxable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I will just leave things where they are : )

you can do a trustee-to-trustee transfer of IRAs and Roth IRAs to a self-directed IRA/RothIRA brokerage account or other financial place that offers better returns on your money. There is no penalty or tax  hit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies