Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tried calling the IRS. No answer on any number or selection. Gov at its finest. I swear I should have stayed working for them. Do nothing all day and get a pension.

@kandisnz There was no stimulus in 2019.

If you did not receive the EIP1 and EIP2 stimulus in 2020 and the IRS never sent those payment to you then you can file an amended 2020 federal tax return for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2020 tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-2020-return/L3XdA1Pw8_U...

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tried calling the IRS. No answer on any number or selection. Gov at its finest. I swear I should have stayed working for them. Do nothing all day and get a pension.

@kandisnz You are confused about when stimulus checks were issued.

The first EIP --or stimulus check--- was issued in 2020  It was for $1200 for adults and $500 for a dependent under the age of 17.   The IRS used information from either your 2019 or 2020 tax return to issue those checks so they could send them out in a hurry.

The 2nd EIP or stimulus was issued in late 2020 or early 2021 and was $600 for adults and $600 for dependents under age 17.

If you did not receive the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus check you can get it by filing a 2020 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   It will end up on line 30 of a 2020 tax return and will be added to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

The 3rd EIP--or stimulus check-- was sent out in mid-March or later in 2021 and was for $1400 per person--adults and dependents no age limit.

If you did not get the 3rd EIP payment you can get it by filing a 2021 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   The credit will go on line 30 of your Form 1040 and will add to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am aware, but you didn't read my post. I DID file my 2019 taxes but they weren't processed until my 2020 taxes were already done, submitted and my refund was issued for the 2020 taxes. I mailed in my 2019 taxes because I share a child with another person who efiled before I did so TurboTax didn't allow my taxes to be eFiled. I mailed them in and I guess they just sat there for 18 months because of COVID. This was a real thing. They had millions of unopened returns sitting in a warehouse because they had no one to work.  On top of that,  they wouldn't let me file a second time. So I could do nothing but wait. My 2019 taxes were filed in  2020 and the IRS paid me interest for having waited so long for the return to be processed n 2021, but that didn't help me when it came to the first stim check in 2020. Since my 2019 taxes hadn't processed it was as if I hadn't filed. The only way I could prove I filed was to wait for the return to process. 

If you didn't get the first or second Stimulus payment because your 2019 wasn't processed in time then you would claim it on your your 2020 return line 30.  It asked you if you had got the Stimulus payment and you should have said no.  Then your would get it on your 2020  tax return line 30.  Did you have an amount online 30?  If you didn't get it on line 30 you need to amend your 2020 return to claim it.

How to Amend

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

NETAX18

NOPE

@NETAX18 wrote:

NOPE

Nope What?  If you have a problem or question you need to describe in detail the issue otherwise no one will be able to help you.

@NETAX18 There are multiple posts in this thread dating back to more than a year ago.  We do not know why your post only says "NOPE" or what you are referring to.    If you have a question or need help, please ask a complete clear question.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I can't get the irs to make an appointment

They never answer. 

@Virgil Brunson  We cannot offer any magical way to get the IRS to answer.   It is very difficult, so you just have to be tenacious and keep trying.    Others have said that trying at 7 a.m. helps.  Sorry.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Same thing keeps happening to me. no clue what to do because local irs office isnt picking up the phone either

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies