turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2nd Stimulus received after filing 2020 taxes and claiming Rebate Recover Credit

Hello,

I am used TaxAct to file my taxes last year. The IRS encountered issues with distributing the 2nd stimulus check to me and millions of other TaxAct users (for whatever reason). The IRS released a statement (they also had a portal where you can check the status of your 2nd stimulus) issuing all of us to file the Recovery Credit on our taxes which adds the missing $600 payment (which I did). 

A day or two after filing my taxes, I see a deposit for $600 in my account. What should I do in this situation? Is this worth it to go ahead and file a 1040X? Should I wait it out and see what the IRS wants me to do?

Thanks for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2nd Stimulus received after filing 2020 taxes and claiming Rebate Recover Credit

We don't know how the IRS will work it out yet.  They should know you got the second one and take it off your return line 30.  They won't open filing until Feb 12 so we all have to wait and see how they handle it.  Keep us posted if they reduce your refund for it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

We don't know how the IRS will work it out yet.  They should know you got the second one and take it off your return line 30.  They won't open filing until Feb 12 so we all have to wait and see how they handle it.  Keep us posted if they reduce your refund for it.

That makes sense. Will keep you posted! Thanks!

UPDATE  NEW - YOU CAN GET YOUR RETURN BACK!

If you filed and claimed the Recovery rebate credit and then received the full Stimulus payments you can call it back and update your return so it isn't delayed

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-ve-already-claimed-the-recovery-rebate-credit-ho...

Thank you so much! This helps a lot! 

I put in to review and change my rebate recovery section I did it before February 6th deadline and did not receive a email on February 8th

Me neither! I’m still waiting on TurboTax to email me. Please keep me posted if you hear an update. I will do the same for you.  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If no email was received by February 8, 2021 from TurboTax, then you will have to amend your return.

This process must wait for the IRS to open on February 12, 2021, so they will accept your original filing.

Once it has been accepted, file an amended return following these steps:

• Sign in to TurboTax and scroll down to Your tax return & documents
  • Select 2020
  • Select Amend(change) return

For more details, see: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

I didn't claim the Recovery Rebate Credit. How do I review and update my 2020 tax return?

@lynnettee2188

@mxp2620

Ravi2321

I applied for the Recovery Rebate credit as well and two days later the its updated that they mailed my stimulus I just got a email that my tax return was accepted and its still for the same amount I don't think they removed the 600 what should I do ??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies