turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 R

Turbo Tax asks about State Information, Box 16, State Tax Distribution.  I do not have this box on my 1099 R form.  I presume the "distribution" is the same amount as the "state tax withheld".  Is this correct?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

1099 R

No, state distribution is not the same as state tax withheld.  The state distribution would be the amount that was reported in box 1 of the Form 1099-R. 

If your Form 1099-R has an amount entered for state tax withheld (box 14), then enter the amount shown in box 1 for the state distribution.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099 R

@TSMoore wrote:

Turbo Tax asks about State Information, Box 16, State Tax Distribution.  I do not have this box on my 1099 R form.  I presume the "distribution" is the same amount as the "state tax withheld".  Is this correct?  Thank you.

Is it a 1099-R or a CSA-1099-R or RRB-1099-R?   Those are different forms and must be selected in TurboTax on the 1099-R type screen.

Also, for 2020  the old 1099-R boxes 12-14 were renumbered to 14-16.   You might have an old form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

1099 R

It is a 1099 R.....guessing it's an old form as you say it's been updated.  My State Tax Withheld was reported in box 12.  My real question is about what to put in Turbo Tax about State Tax Distribution.  I'm guessing that means that what was withheld is what was distributed.....but I don't know, and there is not a box on the 1099 R form listing it.  Thank you!

1099 R

Leave it blank unless NY.   (Box 16 is the old box 14).

NOTE: prior to 2020 the state tax was in boxes 12-14, 2020 renumbered those boxes to 14-16.

If there is no dollar amount in box 14 on your 1099-R then all boxes 14-16 must be blank.

If there is a dollar amount in box 14 then:
Box 16 is not usually required because it has been an 1099-R industrial standard for many years that if there is only one state in box 14 & 15 then the box 1 amount does not need to be allocated between two states - the entire box 1 amount is understood to be the state distribution so box 16 is just left blank.

But recently, there are at least two states (one being NY) that will reject 1099-R's with a state tax and a blank box 16 so it is okay to enter the box 1 amount into box 16 to satisfy the states requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies