turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fhofstetter
Returning Member

1099-r the taxable amount is blank and the taxable amount not determined is checked what is my taxable amount

my other pension i get a 1099-r has the taxable amount filled out and neither 2b is checked. This last one does not have the amount in taxable amount and the taxable amount not determined is checked. How do i determine this or do i just put the amount that is in box 1

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

1099-r the taxable amount is blank and the taxable amount not determined is checked what is my taxable amount

It is actually very common for a broker/administrator to check the box "taxable amount not determined" and not have taxable amount filled out.

You don't have to determine on your own the taxable amount, TurboTax will help you with this.  However, you do have to enter each form 1099-R into the program exactly as it appears - do not make any changes to any of the boxes. Be sure to enter each 1099-R individually; the program will ask you additional questions about each of them.  Based on your 1099-R data entry the follow up answers that the program asked you - taxable amount will be determined.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

It is actually very common for a broker/administrator to check the box "taxable amount not determined" and not have taxable amount filled out.

You don't have to determine on your own the taxable amount, TurboTax will help you with this.  However, you do have to enter each form 1099-R into the program exactly as it appears - do not make any changes to any of the boxes. Be sure to enter each 1099-R individually; the program will ask you additional questions about each of them.  Based on your 1099-R data entry the follow up answers that the program asked you - taxable amount will be determined.

So what if I left it blank, and then during review TurboTax "found a problem" and forced me to enter a value? Does that mean TT was unable to determine the taxable amount?

That's a good answer, but it would be helpful if the writer could mention WHEN this will get fixed.  Because so far, after entering info, nothing has happened to fix the omission.

@jhweiner48 - This is a 2 year old question about 2016 tax returns and has nothing to do with 2018.

If you have a current problem then please start your own thread with a new question and include the details of the issue.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
nabjr1001

My CSA 1099R taxable amount is "unknown". What do I place on my 1040 tax return to show the taxable amount?

Leave box 2a blank (not zero).  Then after you enter the 1099R keep going and it will ask you questions to determine how much is taxable.

@nabjr1001 wrote:

My CSA 1099R taxable amount is "unknown". What do I place on my 1040 tax return to show the taxable amount?

That is probably a CSA 1099-R from OPM.

OPM violates the 1099-R rules by writing "helpful" information in the box rather than just the value or code like they are supposed to. OPM has done that for years and it causes more confusion than help. They put UNKNOWN in box 2a when it should be blank, and put "7 NONDISABILITY" in box 7 when is should only be "7", "1" or "2".

The taxable amount in box 2a is usually the box 1 amount unless you have after-tax contributions in the retirement plan and use the simplified method. If this is NOT the first year of receiving payments, then you should use the same method that was used last year - either the box 1 amount of the simplified method, using the carry forward simplified information from last year.

If box 2a is blank or UNKNOWN then there should be amount in box 9b to use with the simplified method. If no amount in 9b then contact OPM to find the account "basis".

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DCS

1099-R box 2A is blank and 9A and 9B are blank.  When I enter this way and hit continue I get a set of questions but nothing to do with taxable portion which is zero in my case. (ie. basis is much more than amount in box 1.) How do I take basis into account?

@DCS wrote:

1099-R box 2A is blank and 9A and 9B are blank.  When I enter this way and hit continue I get a set of questions but nothing to do with taxable portion which is zero in my case. (ie. basis is much more than amount in box 1.) How do I take basis into account?

What type of 1099-R?   Is it a CSA 1099-R?   If a CSA 1099-R is this the first distribution?   If not, then use the same method as used last year.

What code is in box 7?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Do you mean you made non-deductible contributions to the retirement account? That would be the only way you could have non-taxable distributions. If so, you should see a screen in TurboTax where you indicate that as follows:

When you answer yes, you will see a routine that will allow you to determine what, if any, is your taxable amount for your distribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DCS

It just says 1099-R .  There is no CSA or other modification. Box 7 has a 7 in it. It is for a life insurance polidcy policy that was closed in 2019 and was always paid for by after tax dollars and had a long standing loan on it. I bought the policy in July of 1964,

Live insurance depends on the terms of the policy.  If you think the 1099-R is not correct then contact the policy trustee.  They can probably help with the taxable amount.

dondell

If taxable amount is not determined, how does Turbotax handle it.  Does it put the full amount in as the amount to be taxed?

@dondell wrote:

If taxable amount is not determined, how does Turbotax handle it.  Does it put the full amount in as the amount to be taxed?

That depends on the box 7 code and what the distribution is for and how you answer the follow-up questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies