Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC is asking for schedule C input, however form does not accept any answers and will not allow form submission. Has anyone run into issues entering 1099-NEC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC is asking for schedule C input, however form does not accept any answers and will not allow form submission. Has anyone run into issues entering 1099-NEC?

Only enter Form 1099-NEC as received. Enter Schedule C details separately. Be sure you are in the Wages & Income section and scroll to Self-employed income & expenses and Show More and Start.

For more details, see: What is Form 1099-NEC? 

Click here for more details: How do I report income from self-employment?

If you would like to learn more about your tax reporting requirements, TurboTax provides this: Top Tax Write offs for the Self Employed. Be sure to scroll all the way to the end of the article where it says: Looking for more information? There a number of great links there that you can use.  

dmertz
Level 15

There are presently numerous bugs in TurboTax with regard to the entry of Forms 1099-NEC, with different bugs appearing in different versions.  Those using the CD/download version of TurboTax can work around those bugs by making entries in forms mode, but it's not easy.

Thanks! At least I'm not going crazy. Any idea when this bug may be fixed??

I'm hoping to not have to print and mail my tax return. I appreciate the ability to complete the documentation online.

Thanks again for your reply!

dmertz
Level 15

Bug fixes seem to be coming out particularly slowly this year, probably because many of the changes to TurboTax necessary to accommodate various recent changes to the tax code have yet to be completed.

I have had the same issue for about 2 weeks now and it is completely annoying I have restarted the entire return and I had to reach out to the live experts just to see what was and it was NOT me! It is a system issue and I don't think that I should be charged for this issue as well. But I am having the same issue and it keeps rerouting me back to the page saying that my schedule C is not linked to the 1099-NEC and I know that I have placed everything in properly even had a professional confirm as well.. 

TURBO TAX please fix this issue like yesterday! 

Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Technical is working on the problem. The 1099-NEC is new this year. The new rules are:

The 1099-NEC is for each person to whom the taxpayer has paid at least $600 during the course of a business for the following.

•Services performed by someone who is not an employee, including parts and materials (box 1),

•Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) purchased from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish (box 1), or

•Payments to an attorney for legal services (box 1).

The Form 1099-MISC is for each person to whom the taxpayer has paid the following during the course of a trade or business.

•At least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest,

•At least $600 in rents (box 1), prizes and awards (box 3), other income payments (box 3), the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate (box 3), any fishing boat proceeds (box 5), medical and health care payments (box 6), crop insurance proceeds (box 9), payments to an attorney (box 10), IRC section 409A deferrals (box 12), or nonqualified deferred compensation (box 14).

•Any payment from which federal income tax has been withheld (box 4) under the backup withholding rules

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am begging the tax experts... If you can't fix the super-buggy software, at least let us know what to enter in these blanks as a workaround! My Uber discount expires in two days and this is my only chance to get this done before then. It is not fair that I will be charged an extra $90 because your software does not work! OK, here's the issue. I filled out the 1099-NEC part exactly as I was supposed to, but the check at the end shows me the NEC worksheet, and shows Box 1 and the NEC amount. The next line says "Double click to link to:" and two boxes - one for Schedule C and one for Schedule F. The box for Schedule C is the only one with a field allowing input. What on earth am I supposed to put there? I tried the NEC amount but that did not work. Am I supposed to type out the link to Schedule C? and how could I possible even know the link? This is sheer madness! At this point I deeply regret choosing turbotax to do my taxes this year...

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If double-clicking the box that shows Schedule C does not work, then your return may not have a Schedule C included yet.  There is not something you can type in that box to fix the problem, you have to enter a Schedule C.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC is not reportable directly on your tax return.  Just entering the information on that form is only one step.  Since it is self-employment or 'non-employee compensation' it must be associated with a Schedule C, even if there are no expenses being claimed. 

The information required for the Schedule C will include the type of business, the business name (or your name if there is no specific business name), the business address (or your address), etc.

Since income reported on Form 1099-NEC needs to be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to tie these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

After you are finished, the error condition should be eliminated. 

@kirklabs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Its a glitch that Turbotax is not owning up to and they have not reimbursed my online purchase. I've used Turbotax for the past 10 years, however due to their inability to acknowledge this flaw I will no longer be useing their services in the future. Good new is that I've discovered Jackson Hewitt has an online equivalent that is cheaper. 

Annette, 

Thank you so much for your effort and your attempt to point me in the right direction. Unfortunately I had already tried twice doing exactly what you suggested. It's not your fault, but TurboTax has some serious bugs this year that they are not correcting. The software simply does not work. Because of this, I will need to use a competitor this year, and might not come back to it in future years. I understand that all software has bugs that need to be fixed, but in this case TurboTax apparently did not test it, is ignoring it, and not even acknowledging it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies