turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Opened up a trad IRA May 2018, passed income limits to be deductible. I now need to convert to Roth-How to handle 2018 / 19 tax years...or can I do everything in 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Opened up a trad IRA May 2018, passed income limits to be deductible. I now need to convert to Roth-How to handle 2018 / 19 tax years...or can I do everything in 2018?

The traditional IRA contribution and the Roth conversion are separate transactions.

A Roth conversion performed in 2019 will be reportable on your 2019 tax return.

You'll only enter your traditional IRA contribution into 2018 TurboTax.  TurboTax will prepare 2018 Form 8606 Part I to show the nondeductible contribution, with the amount on line 14 carrying forward to 2019 to be included on your 2019 Form 8606 line 2.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

The traditional IRA contribution and the Roth conversion are separate transactions.

A Roth conversion performed in 2019 will be reportable on your 2019 tax return.

You'll only enter your traditional IRA contribution into 2018 TurboTax.  TurboTax will prepare 2018 Form 8606 Part I to show the nondeductible contribution, with the amount on line 14 carrying forward to 2019 to be included on your 2019 Form 8606 line 2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies