One of my 1099-R amounts is not being added to line 4a of the Federal Form 1040. Line 4b is correct.

Due to the way the IRS has combined the old lines 15 & 16 on to the new line 4 it will look funny ... just make sure the 4b taxable portion is correct and ignore the confusing line 4a.

It seems that turbo tax is having a few problems with the 1099R

It just kept blinking four Blue balls at me for 20 minutes. Would not let me file 1099R. Have to seek an accountant?

You can’t ignore 4a. The IRS will recalculate based on this incorrect value. I didn’t catch the error that TT created before filing. The IRS recalculated. I had to complete a 1040X and send a check to fix it.

@frankbaumert So I assume the IRS gave you a refund larger than you were supposed to receive.   If this is happening with filers due to TT than TT should be responsible for any inconveniences.  Did you e-file?

I don't see any reason why the IRS would care about line 4a unless you incorrectly reported the taxability of an IRA or pension and something was not included in line 4b, which is the line that is used to calculate tax owed.  Maybe I'm missing something in the description.

Case 1: If you have a single IRA distribution or a single pension distribution, TT handles it correctly.  

Case 2: If you have two or more IRA distributions, or two or more pension distributions, or one or more of each, and all are either fully taxable or all are only partially taxable, TT handles it correctly.

Case 3: If you have two or more IRA distributions, or two or more pension distributions, or one or more of each, and some are fully taxable and others are only partially taxable, TT puts a smaller amount on Line 4a (gross) than on Line 4b (taxable).  This is this case where TT obviously creates a nonsense result, and this is the case TT should fix, whether or not the IRS "cares".  As of the March 6 update of TT, this Case is still not fixed.

The confusion and controversy around this falls into two categories: 1) Some people are talking about different cases without differentiating in their descriptions. 2)  People are reporting different opinions, and apparently different experiences, as to whether the IRS cares about Line 4a on their return.  

If the IRS does care about Line 4a, Case 3 is a huge problem for anyone who has it.  Even if not, TT could fix this Case 3 in about 10 minutes and stop all the confusion and controversy.

Fyi in my case, where it does do 4a correctly, I have 3 IRAs where one is partially taxable and once pension that is partially taxable...

@steve

If your pension were fully taxable, you would see the error others are complaining about.  Specifically, Line 4a (gross) would show an amount smaller than the amount on Line 4b (taxable).  Some users are reporting that the IRS is rejecting their return or recalculating their taxes when they submit a return with this error.  

I wish others (not you) would quit going on about how the IRS instructions say that Line 4a can be blank, if the distributions are fully taxable.  We know that.  That is not what this is about.  This is about the case where some distributions are partially taxable and others (specifically pensions) are fully taxable.  That is the case where TT puts a smaller amount on Line 4a than on Line 4b.