turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get past this error message: "Earlier year taxable social security benefits taxpayer should not be more that $10,917, 85% of the sum of Line B."

I received a lump sum payment from Social Security for tax year 2017. I entered in the amount and the amount from line B. I have rechecked all of the entries. I get this message: "Earlier year taxable social security for taxpayer should not be more than $xxxxx, 85% of the sum of line B.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How do I get past this error message: "Earlier year taxable social security benefits taxpayer should not be more that $10,917, 85% of the sum of Line B."

I received $1,924 Social Security for 2017 paid in 2018. I received $12,843 SS benefits in 2017 (Box 5 on 2017, SSA 1099). Adjusted gross income for 2017 was $114,343. Total SS income for 2017 was $21,922. That amount includes $9,079 that my wife received. So why is the error telling me that it is too high? I have entered in the correct numbers and have gone through it several times. What do I have to do to correct the "error" so I can file my return?

it may have something to do with the $1,924.  Report that as a "Lump-Sum payment".

The total SS benefits for 2017 were $25,791 taxable amount was $21,922.

My 1099 shows in box three $15492 Benefits for 2018 then at the bottom of box three it shows "$1924.00 paid in 2018 for 2017"

ok, show the $1,924 in the Lump-Sum payment section.  It was made in 2018, but it's for 2017.

I have worked through my taxes manually and everything is correct. I think the error I keep getting is incorrect.

Yes, that's the correct error message you get when you enter more than you should.

There's an option to enter a lump-sum payment.  The reason it's entered separately is because the taxable amount for each year needs to be figured.  Make sure you have that year's adjusted gross income to correctly compute.

I'm not exactly sure how to get there in Mac, but you'll find it as a separate category in your Retirement & Social Security section under Income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies