turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amesberg

Should I enter my 403B as a traditional IRA? I am being assessed a penalty of 6% even though I contributed less than $5500 to my Roth and less than $10000 to my 403B.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Should I enter my 403B as a traditional IRA? I am being assessed a penalty of 6% even though I contributed less than $5500 to my Roth and less than $10000 to my 403B.

No.  Your 403B is considered a pension plan and NOT an IRA.  A major difference between the two is that almost anyone can open an IRA, but 403(b) accounts are limited to employees of nonprofit organizations. An individual can't set up a 403(b).  It is important to identify contributions correctly.

Make sure you are not entering your 403b contributions separately.  The 403b contributions are included on your W-2 (in box 12 with code E).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No.  Your 403B is considered a pension plan and NOT an IRA.  A major difference between the two is that almost anyone can open an IRA, but 403(b) accounts are limited to employees of nonprofit organizations. An individual can't set up a 403(b).  It is important to identify contributions correctly.

Make sure you are not entering your 403b contributions separately.  The 403b contributions are included on your W-2 (in box 12 with code E).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay:

So let me know if this is correct:  403b plans are part of pension so you don't add them to anywhere, they are including in your w-2 when doing taxes?

2.  Does it reduce my taxable income and AGI, therefore decreasing what I pay in taxes overall?  In other words, does it act like a deduction of sorts.  I realize it isn't a deduction but here's a scenario.  I make 75K a year and put 5K a year in 403b, I'm only taxed at 70K?  Am I right on this assumption?

Correct on both points. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies