turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

etstadler

Do I have to pay taxes on the principal part of a withdrawal from an annuity, even though I paid into it with taxed money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Do I have to pay taxes on the principal part of a withdrawal from an annuity, even though I paid into it with taxed money?

No, you do not.  Your 1099-R should state in box 2a the word "undetermined" or something similar.  Then, in box 5, there will be an amount entered that represents your contribution amounts in the annuity.  Typically speaking, the taxable portion of the annuity is determined by the simplified method, although the general method may sometimes be used to recover the after-tax contribution amounts.  For an explanation of these methods, please click on the following link:  Topic No. 411 Pensions – the General Rule and the Simplified Method ...

If you have that kind of wording in box 2a, leave the box blank in TurboTax and then make sure that the "taxable amount is undetermined" box is checked.  This will allow TurboTax to generate the worksheet necessary to determine the amount of your annuity that will be taxable this year by applying the correct method.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, you do not.  Your 1099-R should state in box 2a the word "undetermined" or something similar.  Then, in box 5, there will be an amount entered that represents your contribution amounts in the annuity.  Typically speaking, the taxable portion of the annuity is determined by the simplified method, although the general method may sometimes be used to recover the after-tax contribution amounts.  For an explanation of these methods, please click on the following link:  Topic No. 411 Pensions – the General Rule and the Simplified Method ...

If you have that kind of wording in box 2a, leave the box blank in TurboTax and then make sure that the "taxable amount is undetermined" box is checked.  This will allow TurboTax to generate the worksheet necessary to determine the amount of your annuity that will be taxable this year by applying the correct method.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies