shgreen1966

My W2 box 14 is retirement contribution. I work for county government. Is box 14 deductible on federal taxes?

State of NC

SteamTrain

Nope, any State/municipal/city/county (etc) pension plan in box 14 is not deductible on the Federal tax return.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

Emyaq30

So does this mean when you are filling out box 14 for Federal Return that you should leave it blank?  Mine has $2700.00.  Does this mean I contributed this amount and now need to be taxed on it or what does it mean when "it says in both 14 "EXCL RETIRE $2700"?  I apologize for my ignorance.  I truly do not understand.  Thank you

JohnB5677

Box 14 is an information box available for your employer to give you notes.  Any adjustments that would have been required regarding income and deductions will have already been accounted for.  You can post your W-2 exactly as it is.