turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My W2 box 14 is retirement contribution. I work for county government. Is box 14 deductible on federal taxes?

State of NC
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My W2 box 14 is retirement contribution. I work for county government. Is box 14 deductible on federal taxes?

Nope, any State/municipal/city/county (etc) pension plan in box 14 is not deductible on the Federal tax return.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Nope, any State/municipal/city/county (etc) pension plan in box 14 is not deductible on the Federal tax return.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Emyaq30

So does this mean when you are filling out box 14 for Federal Return that you should leave it blank?  Mine has $2700.00.  Does this mean I contributed this amount and now need to be taxed on it or what does it mean when "it says in both 14 "EXCL RETIRE $2700"?  I apologize for my ignorance.  I truly do not understand.  Thank you

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Box 14 is an information box available for your employer to give you notes.  Any adjustments that would have been required regarding income and deductions will have already been accounted for.  You can post your W-2 exactly as it is.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies