turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

appctho1

My W-2 has no income but I have a W in box 12a with an amount. I referenced this amount in my return under HSA contrib. Do I still need to include my W-2 under income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My W-2 has no income but I have a W in box 12a with an amount. I referenced this amount in my return under HSA contrib. Do I still need to include my W-2 under income?

May I assume that this is an employer (or former employer) who is paying your HDHP insurance premiums and reporting it on a W-2? (this is the usual case).  Or is this a second W-2 that you were given because they did not include the code W on the initial W-2? (also happens).

If this is for your insurance premiums, you will need to enter the W-2 as is. However, I don't believe that you will be able to e-file with no Wages in box 1, so you either put $1 dollar in box 1 or you print and mail your return.

If this is a second W-2 because the first one was incomplete, then just add this code W entry and amount to your first W-2 and do not add a second W-2.

In either case, if you previously added the code W amount as a direct ("personal") contribution on the screen headed "Let's enter [name]' HSA contributions" (see screenshot below) on the second line, please zero that entry out. You cannot report an employer contribution that way.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies