Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employers portion of social security and medicare tax is not getting applied. Instead this amount is showing up in the other taxes category. Am I missing something ?

Thank you for your responses. 

The issue was just a manual W2 entry error on my part, unrelated to the subject line above. I selected AA (uncollected social security or RRTA tax) instead of A (Roth contribution)  and this moved the dollar amount in this box to taxes still owed. The number was within a few hundred dollars of my social security + medicare withholdings, so I assumed that the employer portion of these taxes might be the issue. This was a red herring. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

My employers portion of social security and medicare tax is not getting applied. Instead this amount is showing up in the other taxes category. Am I missing something ?

Did you enter the W-2?   Uploading the w-2 just puts it in the documents folder.   You have to enter the information from the w-2 into TurboTax.   W-2 income is not treated as self-employment.  

To manually enter your W-2 info:

1. From Tax Home, open or continue your return.
  2. In the search bar, search for W-2.
  3. Select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  4. At We'll start with your W-2, select Work on my W-2 and Continue.
    • If you land on the Here’s your W-2 info screen, select Add another W-2.
  5. Leave the employer ID section blank and Continue.
  6. Select Type it in myself and Continue.
  7. Follow the instructions to manually enter your W-2 info.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The SS and Medicare part is not put into the tax withheld.  Only the amounts from boxes 2 and 17--- for federal and state.      You do not get a refund of the amounts withheld for Social Security or Medicare.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What do you mean Social Security & Medicare is not getting applied?  Applied to what?  You don't get SS & Medicare back.  It is a mandatory tax.  You only get federal tax withholding in box 2 back.  And box 17 for state tax withholding.  Don't know what or where you're seeing it.  Check your actual 1040 return.  W2 Federal withholding is on 1040 line 25a.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies