Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pooryam

Unsure what status I should choose. I was working in the U.S until 8/1/17 prior to returning to United Kingdom. Please advise. Many Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Unsure what status I should choose. I was working in the U.S until 8/1/17 prior to returning to United Kingdom. Please advise. Many Thanks

I assume you were in the US more than 183 days. The following is based on that assumption.

You can either file a dual status 1040NR (resident first part of the year, nonresident at end of the year) or  you can file a full year resident return as the IRS considers your residency ending date December 31st.      The IRS considers you a resident till December 31, 2019 unless you attach a statement (early residency termination date)  to the return indicating that your US residency ended on 8/1/19 and that you had a closer connection to the UK after you left and that your tax home is in the UK

A dual status return is not supported by TurboTax (you may wish to seek a tax adviser in the UK familiar with Dual Status returns).

[Edited 03/18/20 | 2:27 pm]

If you are married, you may wish to file married filing jointly and file a full year resident return in order to benefit from married filing jointly deductions. You would both declare your worldwide income for the calendar year no matter where it was earned or received and utilize the foreign tax credit to help offset any double taxation.

Please see the following link.

Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens

View solution in original post

5 Replies

what was your visa status and when did you come to the US?
pooryam

I was on a P Visa. I arrived in the U.S in 2015.
pooryam

Many thanks for the help.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I assume you were in the US more than 183 days. The following is based on that assumption.

You can either file a dual status 1040NR (resident first part of the year, nonresident at end of the year) or  you can file a full year resident return as the IRS considers your residency ending date December 31st.      The IRS considers you a resident till December 31, 2019 unless you attach a statement (early residency termination date)  to the return indicating that your US residency ended on 8/1/19 and that you had a closer connection to the UK after you left and that your tax home is in the UK

A dual status return is not supported by TurboTax (you may wish to seek a tax adviser in the UK familiar with Dual Status returns).

[Edited 03/18/20 | 2:27 pm]

If you are married, you may wish to file married filing jointly and file a full year resident return in order to benefit from married filing jointly deductions. You would both declare your worldwide income for the calendar year no matter where it was earned or received and utilize the foreign tax credit to help offset any double taxation.

Please see the following link.

Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens

pooryam

I had been in the U.S since 2015. Many thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies