Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I set up an LLC for my rental property business. Can I set up retirement plan to help offset taxable gains?

I am the only partner and employee, and I dont take a salary since I simply own all the profits.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I set up an LLC for my rental property business. Can I set up retirement plan to help offset taxable gains?

If you're a single owner LLC, the business defaults to be taxed as self-employed and all activity is treated at your personal level. The LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes and in the sole owner situation, it doesn't change anything for taxes. This means rental activity is reported on schedule E and a retirement plan activity is treated at your personal level, as it was before forming. 

If you are providing services or sales that you materially participate in, the net income from this activity is your earned income, flowing from the schedule C Self-employed business income and expenses. All of this is to your favor, as the LLC was created to make the rules simpler for people to follow and still be able to get the limited liability protection. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

If you're a single owner LLC, the business defaults to be taxed as self-employed and all activity is treated at your personal level. The LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes and in the sole owner situation, it doesn't change anything for taxes. This means rental activity is reported on schedule E and a retirement plan activity is treated at your personal level, as it was before forming. 

If you are providing services or sales that you materially participate in, the net income from this activity is your earned income, flowing from the schedule C Self-employed business income and expenses. All of this is to your favor, as the LLC was created to make the rules simpler for people to follow and still be able to get the limited liability protection. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies