Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shape8

Why Form 1040 and worksheet errors for Line 4a and 4b? IRA distribution values excluded from Form 4a and worksheet 4a and 4b. What is going wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Form 1040 and worksheet errors for Line 4a and 4b? IRA distribution values excluded from Form 4a and worksheet 4a and 4b. What is going wrong?

If you look at the 1040 worksheet, you see that TurboTax is still separating IRA's from pensions and annuities, even though the 1040 no longer does that.  If you have distributions from multiple payers, they are doing it wrong.  Here is what the new IRS 1040 instructions say:   "More than one distribution. If you (or your spouse if filing jointly) received more than one distribution, figure the taxable amount of each distribution and enter the total of the taxable amounts on line 4b. Enter the total amount of those distributions on line 4a."  So, if more than one, the total of ALL distributions should appear on 4a.  I think Intuit has been told about this problem.

shape8

Thank you for your efforts.  I saw the "distributions from multiple payers" language also and thought the same thing until rereading the new instructions.  I believe that other specific language on Line 4a excludes many specific distributions from being entered on line 4a (specific exceptions are made in the recently released instructions for Form 1040).  The IRS changed the entries from previous years centered on the taxable-nontaxable distinctions; now line 4b is taxable and line 4a is certain specifically designated distributions.  

For example, a pension/annuity distribution for me appears on line 4a (mostly but not totally taxable); two other distributions from an IRA and a 403(b) plan do not.  Line 4b has the taxable portion of the pension/annuity distribution and the two other distributions.

The IRS language is very confusing.  I think that Turbotax has it right on This issue.

There are several other discussions of this question in this online help section.

Best of luck from another frustrated filer.   
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies