Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment federal income tax withheld 169.00 I don't see that in our total federal taxes withheld

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unemployment federal income tax withheld 169.00 I don't see that in our total federal taxes withheld

If you have already entered your 1099-G, follow the steps below for where to enter federal tax withheld. 

If you have not entered the 1099-G at all, follow the first 3 steps below to get to where to enter it and proceed with the step that comes after "edit" step below.
  • Make sure you are logged in and inside of the actual return (after clicking on Take me to my return)
  • Type unemployment compensation in the Search box in the top right corner of the account
  • Then select jump to unemployment compensation
  • Click Edit next to that 1099-G and if you get the "Enter your 1099-G info" screen, just click Continue. 
  • On the "What's the total amount you received on your 1099-G?"screen, make sure you have a check mark in the box next to "Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment" and click Continue. 
  • The next page will ask you to input the Federal Income Tax Withheld in Box 4 
NOTE: See screenshots below for what you should see on those last 2 screens.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Do you have a 1099-G with that amount listed on it?

yes

Okay, you will need to enter that federal tax withheld in the same place you enter your 1099-G. I will provide steps below for you to get to where it needs to be entered

If you have already entered your 1099-G, follow the steps below for where to enter federal tax withheld. 

If you have not entered the 1099-G at all, follow the first 3 steps below to get to where to enter it and proceed with the step that comes after "edit" step below.
  • Make sure you are logged in and inside of the actual return (after clicking on Take me to my return)
  • Type unemployment compensation in the Search box in the top right corner of the account
  • Then select jump to unemployment compensation
  • Click Edit next to that 1099-G and if you get the "Enter your 1099-G info" screen, just click Continue. 
  • On the "What's the total amount you received on your 1099-G?"screen, make sure you have a check mark in the box next to "Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment" and click Continue. 
  • The next page will ask you to input the Federal Income Tax Withheld in Box 4 
NOTE: See screenshots below for what you should see on those last 2 screens.

Yes, that trick worked!!! I did it a little differently. Already had 1099-G unemployment info entered. Unable to change anything. Deleted existing 1099 info, then re-entered. This time saw the box to indicate withholding, clicked it, then on another page entered the withheld amount. Then it showed in the Other Income Taxes field.

Likely operator error when entering the 1099 info in the first place!!! Duhhhh...

All is good now!!! Thank you, AndreaC1. Very helpful!!! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies