turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lcavin08

If my ONLY source of income was a 1099-k of $2900, do I still have to file taxes? Or do a qualify to not file taxes because I am single and made under 10k?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If my ONLY source of income was a 1099-k of $2900, do I still have to file taxes? Or do a qualify to not file taxes because I am single and made under 10k?

Yes, if the 1099-K was self-employment income (i.e. business income - perhaps say something like Uber income).  For this type of income, you must file a return if it is over $400 because while you will not owe any income taxes due to the standard deduction etc, you may owe self-employment taxes on the income (FICA taxes).

Otherwise, you would not because you likely would not meet the filing requirements - information below

Read these two articles below - the first one is for general taxpayers and the second is for dependents.  

Note:  While you may not be required to file a federal return, you may still need to file a state return as their requirements can differ from federal.  You can view this article for more information about state filing requirements.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies