Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sparky049

If I had SSA benefits of 31,836 and IRA distribution of $12,000, 70 years old and filing as single what should I have paid in federal taxes for 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I had SSA benefits of 31,836 and IRA distribution of $12,000, 70 years old and filing as single what should I have paid in federal taxes for 2019?

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
Single or Head of Household - $25,000
Married Filing Separately - 0

Your taxable SS benefits are $1,459, if all of the IRA withdrawal is taxable, then your Adjusted Gross Income is $13,459.  With a Standard Deduction of  $13,850 your taxable income is $0.  You do not owe any federal income taxes.

Edited answer for accuracy - You do not owe any federal income taxes.

And you would get a refund of any withholding taken out of SS or your IRA.  Is that all your income?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies