turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pete0305

If I convert an ira to a roth ira and file a joint return, are the spouse's iras considered independent of my iras for purposed of the pro rata calculation.

If I convert an ira to a roth ira and filing a joint return, are the iras for the spouse considered completely independent of my iras.  For example, if the ira's contain pre-tax and post-tax contributions, is the pro rata conversion applied to all iras held by the joint couple or is the pro rata conversion applied separately to the iras of each member of the couple.  Is this documented in the tax code?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If I convert an ira to a roth ira and file a joint return, are the spouse's iras considered independent of my iras for purposed of the pro rata calculation.

Your IRAs, and the basis in those IRAs, are separate from your wife's IRAs.  They are also separate from any inherited IRAs.  The pro-rata calculation is perform separately on a Form 8606 for you and a Form 8606 for your wife.  (TurboTax designates the separate Forms 8606 as Form 8606-T for Taxpayer and Form 8606-S for Spouse.)  When entering the basis and year-end value to be used in your pro-rata calculation, enter only your basis and the total year-end value of your IRAs.

Section 408 of the tax code defines IRAs as individual accounts, with all accounts owned by the individual treated as one account for tax purposes.  They are never considered in combination with another IRA owner's accounts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Your IRAs, and the basis in those IRAs, are separate from your wife's IRAs.  They are also separate from any inherited IRAs.  The pro-rata calculation is perform separately on a Form 8606 for you and a Form 8606 for your wife.  (TurboTax designates the separate Forms 8606 as Form 8606-T for Taxpayer and Form 8606-S for Spouse.)  When entering the basis and year-end value to be used in your pro-rata calculation, enter only your basis and the total year-end value of your IRAs.

Section 408 of the tax code defines IRAs as individual accounts, with all accounts owned by the individual treated as one account for tax purposes.  They are never considered in combination with another IRA owner's accounts.

Pete0305

Dmertz, Thanks for a quick and helpful answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies