Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was just informed that the $10,000 deduction limit was changed to $12,000. What is the situation?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I was just informed that the $10,000 deduction limit was changed to $12,000. What is the situation?

In past years, every taxpayer got a standard deduction of about $6000 plus a personal exemption of about $4000, for a $10,000 total "deduction".

For 2018, the personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction has been increased to $12,000.

Some people come out better, with this new arrangement, some don't.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What?  What deduction are you referring to?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You're confusing 2 different things.  
Standard deduction for Single is 12k   
If you itemize, then the limit of deductible state and local taxes is 10K.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Are you confusing the $10,000 limit for state and local taxes with the new standard deduction of $12,000 for a single filer?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

In past years, every taxpayer got a standard deduction of about $6000 plus a personal exemption of about $4000, for a $10,000 total "deduction".

For 2018, the personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction has been increased to $12,000.

Some people come out better, with this new arrangement, some don't.

We are filing Married filing jointly and the cap is 10K.  If I file as married filing separately, would that increase to 12K?  If the standard deduction is 12K why am I getting a 10K message.  Thank you.  
Hal_Al
Level 15

Two different things. The $10,000 cap refers to the itemized deduction for state and local taxes (income, property and sales taxes), known as SALT.
The standard deduction for Married Filing Separately (MFS) is $12,000 each (half of the $24,000 for married filing jointly-MFJ).
The $10K SALT deduction is just one piece of total itemized deductions (you can add charity and medical to that).

But here's the kicker: if you file MFS and one of you itemizes deductions, the other must also itemize. She cannot use the $12K standard deduction, if you itemize. So, if you're trying to beat the system by filing separately, it won't work.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies