Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kim-susan

I took a hardship withdrawal from my 401k in 2022 to purchase my first home. This should exempt the withdrawal from the 10% penalty when I file my taxes, correct?

I have entered the information into turbo tax and I am being hit with the 10% penalty.  Why?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I took a hardship withdrawal from my 401k in 2022 to purchase my first home. This should exempt the withdrawal from the 10% penalty when I file my taxes, correct?

The exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty for a first time home purchase is only if the funds were distributed from an IRA, not a 401(k).

IRS website for IRA exceptions - https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc557

IRS website for non IRA exceptions - https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc558

No.   You are not exempt from the 10% early withdrawal penalty when you take money out of a 401k.  That only works for a traditional IRA.   When you take money out of a 401k for a down payment you are subject to not only the ordinary income tax but the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  You misunderstood the rules.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Sorry. Even though they have a similar purpose, IRAs and 401(k) are controlled by different tax laws and follow different rules.  The homebuyer exception does not apply to a 401(k). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies