tax-dummy0

I retired end of 2017 and closed my company. I received two checks to my company for small amounts early 2018. Where should I report the income for 2018?

MichaelL1

If less than $400 and no 1099Misc report the amounts as follows.

Click on “Take me to my return” button.

Click on Federal tab (left-hand side of screen).

Click in Wages and Income (near top of screen)

Scroll down to Less Common Income.

Click on Start next to Miscellaneous Income.

Click on Other reportable income.

Follow the questions

MichaelL1

Click on “Take me to my return” button.

Scroll down to Less Common Income.

Click on Other reportable income.

Follow the questions

tax-dummy0

One is $545 and the other is $192.38.  Both don't have 1099 M.  What should I do about the one that is over $400 ($545)?
MichaelL1

If over $400 you can have self-employment tax--what was it for?
MichaelL1

Why did they paid you the money?
tax-dummy0

My company sold/fitted patients with braces.  The $545 one was the payment from a hospital which I provided service to their patient in 2017 and billed them in 2017.  They didn't pay me until 1/10/18.  The other one was from an insurance company.
MichaelL1

Unfortunately the $545 should go on a Sch C (or Sch C-EZ) and you would have to pay self-employment taxes on it.
The insurance payment if it is a reimbursement might not be taxable income at all
MichaelL1

What TurboTax are you using?
tax-dummy0

Turbo tax already remove my company information in business section when I downloaded the program.  So I need to put in the company profile again like I have a new comapany?
MichaelL1

You can do a very abbreviated version use the home address and your name for the business.  
tax-dummy0

Thank you.
tax-dummy0

I use "home and business".  Sorry I didn't see that part of question.  Thanks again.