turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I retired end of 2017 and closed my company. I received two checks to my company for small amounts early 2018. Where should I report the income for 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I retired end of 2017 and closed my company. I received two checks to my company for small amounts early 2018. Where should I report the income for 2018?

If less than $400 and no 1099Misc report the amounts as follows.

Click on “Take me to my return” button.

Click on Federal tab (left-hand side of screen).

Click in Wages and Income (near top of screen)

Scroll down to Less Common Income.

Click on Start next to Miscellaneous Income.

Click on Other reportable income.

Follow the questions

View solution in original post

11 Replies

If less than $400 and no 1099Misc report the amounts as follows.

Click on “Take me to my return” button.

Click on Federal tab (left-hand side of screen).

Click in Wages and Income (near top of screen)

Scroll down to Less Common Income.

Click on Start next to Miscellaneous Income.

Click on Other reportable income.

Follow the questions

One is $545 and the other is $192.38.  Both don't have 1099 M.  What should I do about the one that is over $400 ($545)?

If over $400 you can have self-employment tax--what was it for?

Why did they paid you the money?

My company sold/fitted patients with braces.  The $545 one was the payment from a hospital which I provided service to their patient in 2017 and billed them in 2017.  They didn't pay me until 1/10/18.  The other one was from an insurance company.

Unfortunately the $545 should go on a Sch C (or Sch C-EZ) and you would have to pay self-employment taxes on it.
The insurance payment if it is a reimbursement might not be taxable income at all

What TurboTax are you using?

Turbo tax already remove my company information in business section when I downloaded the program.  So I need to put in the company profile again like I have a new comapany?

You can do a very abbreviated version use the home address and your name for the business.  

Thank you.

I use "home and business".  Sorry I didn't see that part of question.  Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies