turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to enter an amount on line #2 and line #9 on my Form 8889 (Per Fidelity).. How Do I get to that from via my TurboTax online tax program... (tax year 2020)

My employer along with Fidelity offered an incentive to sign up for Fidelity's Health Savings account.   Now Fidelity says I need to input those incentive amounts on form 8889
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I need to enter an amount on line #2 and line #9 on my Form 8889 (Per Fidelity).. How Do I get to that from via my TurboTax online tax program... (tax year 2020)

Please see this answer from BMcCalpin:

Form 8889 reports on your HSA (Health Savings Account) contributions and distributions. It is generated automatically by TurboTax based on answers in the HSA interview and on your W-2, and attached to your 1040 tax return.

If you have a code of W in box 12 on your W-2, then you have an HSA and must add form 8889 to your return.

Even if you do not, but have a 1099-SA, then you should do this by going to Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA, MSA Contributions, and completing the interview. Be sure to go to the very end, to where you are returned to "Your Tax Breaks".

Line 2: HSA contributions you made for 2020 (or those made on your behalf), including those made from January 1, 2021, through April 15, 2021, that were for 2020. Do not include employer contributions, contributions through a cafeteria plan, or rollovers. You will be asked your contribution amount.

Employer contributions made to your HSAs for 2020: This is on your W-2.

So, It sounds like I can not get to Form 8889 to enter amounts for Line 2 and Line 9....?

dmertz
Level 15

As ColleenD3 explained, you must visit the HSA section of TurboTax and enter as a personal contribution the amount that Fidelity deposited on your behalf.  TurboTax prepares Form 8889 from the information that you provide here and from the entry you make in box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form.  There is no way in online TurboTax to make entries directly on Form 8889, nor should you want to since doing so would void TurboTax's accuracy guarantee with respect to the calculations on that form.

Federal -> Deductions & Credits -> Medical -> HSA, MSA Contributions

Ok, Thanks.  (understood)..  I'll try this route again: Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA, MSA Contributions,.......   I do not recall seeing a way to enter data that would end up on Line #9.    But, I'll give it another try.

dmertz
Level 15

The amount that gets reported on line 9 is the amount with code W in box 12 of your W-2 that you enter into box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies