turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bsg1944

I moved into an independent retirement community. I do pay taxes, but it is a "lease for life" apartment. What do I check for: owning a home, etc? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I moved into an independent retirement community. I do pay taxes, but it is a "lease for life" apartment. What do I check for: owning a home, etc? Thanks.

It depends. The concept of  Life Leases and the way they are handled is a complex subject, and a lot depends on how the lease is written. If you are considered an owner of the property you may have a mortgage on the property, or be liable for the property taxes.Then you would indicate that you own your home and claim the deductible expenses. 

But if the lessor owns the property, and you have no equity in it, just the right to live there during your lifetime, then you don't own the home, and your payments constitute rent.

You really need to check with a professional near you that can read your lease and advise you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

It depends. The concept of  Life Leases and the way they are handled is a complex subject, and a lot depends on how the lease is written. If you are considered an owner of the property you may have a mortgage on the property, or be liable for the property taxes.Then you would indicate that you own your home and claim the deductible expenses. 

But if the lessor owns the property, and you have no equity in it, just the right to live there during your lifetime, then you don't own the home, and your payments constitute rent.

You really need to check with a professional near you that can read your lease and advise you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies