Solved: I moved into an independent retirement community. I do pay taxes, but it is a "lease for life" apartment. What do I check for: owning a home, etc? Thanks.

I moved into an independent retirement community. I do pay taxes, but it is a "lease for life" apartment. What do I check for: owning a home, etc? Thanks.

It depends. The concept of  Life Leases and the way they are handled is a complex subject, and a lot depends on how the lease is written. If you are considered an owner of the property you may have a mortgage on the property, or be liable for the property taxes.Then you would indicate that you own your home and claim the deductible expenses. 

But if the lessor owns the property, and you have no equity in it, just the right to live there during your lifetime, then you don't own the home, and your payments constitute rent.

You really need to check with a professional near you that can read your lease and advise you.