Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelly0476

I have two child age 6yrs through 17 so it should be at $6000 and received $2800 in advance credit so my remaining credit should be $3200 but somehow it's only $1200?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I have two child age 6yrs through 17 so it should be at $6000 and received $2800 in advance credit so my remaining credit should be $3200 but somehow it's only $1200?

Please be aware, the Child Tax Credit is phased out if your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than,

• $150,000 if you're Married Filing Jointly or a Qualifying Widow
  • $112,500 if you're filing as Head of Household, or
  • $75,000 if you're Married Filing Separately or Single.

Please see What is the Child Tax Credit? for additional information.

If this doesn't apply to you then verify your entries in the Child Tax Credit section:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type "Child tax credit"
  2. Click on “Jump to Child Tax Credit” 
  3. Continue through the questions until the "Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments" screen and enter the advance payment amount from letter 6914.
  4. Continue through the questions.

You can see your remaining Child Tax Care Credit amount on line 28 of Form 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@kelly0476 

You mentioned $2800.   I wonder if you are confusing the $1400 per person stimulus check you got for a married couple with the advance child tax credit payments made between July and December.

Letter 6475 shows the stimulus checks---the one for $1400 per person --- those went out starting in mid-March of 2021.   Each of you would have received a letter 6475 for those checks. The IRS divides the amount in half for each spouse's letter.   If you had two dependents then the total of those payments would have been 4 x $1400  = $5600.   So you would each have a letter 6475 for $2800.

You enter the information about Letter 6475 in Federal Review for the recovery rebate credit.

Letter 6419 shows the amount of advance child tax credit you received during 2021---the monthly payments of either $250 or $300 per child--depending on their age.  If your kids were 6 or older then you probably got $500/month  x 6 = $3000.   The remaining amount---unless your income is too high---should be $3000.   You should see $3000 on line 28 of your Form 1040.

You enter the information from letters 6419 for the child tax credit:

Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

If you are still not sure----check your bank account for the deposits made last year.  And check your IRS online account for BOTH spouses.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies