Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have the same question.Why is my Social Security Tax the same as the amount reported inctead of 1/2 of my 2017 social security amount reported in Box 5?

My Social Security  amount for 2017 as reported in Box 5 is $11,760. Accoreding to IRS instructions the taxable amount should be 1/2 of thar amount.However INtuit is showing the total amount in Box 5 as my taxable amount.How do I get this corrected>

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I have the same question.Why is my Social Security Tax the same as the amount reported inctead of 1/2 of my 2017 social security amount reported in Box 5?

Look at your tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on View Tax Summary.  Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

The total Social Security benefits received is shown on Form 1040 Line 20a or Form 1040A Line 14b.  The taxable amount of Social Security benefits is shown on Form 1040 Line 20b or Form 1040A Line 14b

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies