Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MK48
Level 1

I have entered Employer contributions for a Solo 401k, but they are not being deducted as a business expense. Please help with why and how to fix.

I am self employed and have made both Employee and Employer contributions to my Solo 401k. When I enter them in the Turbotax system, the Employee contributions are deducted from my income as they should be, but my Employer contributions are NOT being deducted from my business income. How do I get these to deduct from my business income? Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have entered Employer contributions for a Solo 401k, but they are not being deducted as a business expense. Please help with why and how to fix.

For pass-through businesses, the employee and employer portion of the Solo 401k contribution is reported on line 15 of Schedule 1. There is a direct connection from Schedule C to Schedule 1. For example, you report business (earned income) from Schedule C on line 3 of Schedule 1. Then, as part of the Schedule 1 calculation, the employer contribution to your Solo 401k becomes part of your adjusted income. Afterward, that is subtracted out of your taxable income. Finally, report adjusted income on line 8a of Schedule 1 on your 1040 form (see line 8b subtraction calculation).

MK48
Level 1

Thanks, that's helpful, but the problem is Turbotax is not including the Employer portion of the contribution in Schedule 1, so Turbotax is not deducting the full amount of contributions. How do I get TurboTax software to deduct the Employer portion in addition to the Employee portion?

I am seeing a slightly different issue...TurbotTax Premiere is correctly tracking employer contributions to Solo 401K for the business owner.  However, it is not calculating the employer contribution for a W2 employee as a business expense, which in this case is a spouse.  TurboTax allows the entries to be entered for the spouse (in this case filing jointly) but it does not associate the W2 income reported for the spouse with the sole-proprietor as the employer.

As I understand tax laws, a spouse who is a w2 employee of the sole-proprietor and does not have employment elsewhere (no other W2 income) can contribute to the sole-proprietor's Solo 401K.  These contributions have to be within contribution limits.

Is this another "unsupported calculation" in TT?  If so, where is this documented and what is the work-around?  Do I need to override the calculation and enter the correct figure so it shows up as a business expense?

Larry

Nomanation
Returning Member

I am having same issue as this original post. Did you ever find a fix? Thanks

MK48
Level 1

Yes, I did figure it out. In addition to the Solo 401k contributions, I had also made contributions to a SEP IRA. The SEP IRA contributions and Employer Solo 401k contributions count towards the same tax-deductible retirement account contribution limits. I had maxed out my SEP contributions (based on my business income) and therefore the 401k employer contributions put me over the limit. Turbotax correctly will not let you double count.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The instructions in the link will take you step-by-step to enter your solo 401(k) contributions. Make sure to select 'Maximize Contribution to Individual 401(k)'.

A one-participant 401(k) plan is sometimes called a:

• Solo 401(k)
  • Solo-k
  • Uni-k
  • One-participant k

The one-participant 401(k) plan isn't a new type of 401(k) plan. It's a traditional 401(k) plan covering a business owner with no employees, or that person and his or her spouse. These plans have the same rules and requirements as any other 401(k) plan.

@Nomanation

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies