I contributed to United Way through payroll deduction. The Michigan return asked if I wanted to contribute to United Way, is the amount that I contributed deductible?

The software for Michigan Income tax provided options for charitable deductions and United Way was listed.  Since I did contribute at work, I want to know if there is a way to include that contribution in the Michigan return.  It did not appear that contribution was carried from the Federal return.

thif you contribute through a reduction in your state refund or increase in balance due the amount is deductible. 

but in my opinion the year for deduction is 2019.   

Contributions can be a federal deduction and state deduction if you Itemize Deductions.  You can enter 2018 contributions at
Federal Taxes Tab
Deductions and Credits
Continue past the IRA Contribution screen (if it comes up)
Then scroll way down to Charitable Donations
Donations to Charity  - Click the Start or Update button