turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can not find any help with a W-4S form for withholding from sick pay 2018. How can I find out how much I should be withholding from my monthly benefit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

I can not find any help with a W-4S form for withholding from sick pay 2018. How can I find out how much I should be withholding from my monthly benefit?

Didn't the worksheet here help?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4s.pdf

No, I have the form but can't figure out how to fill it out. It's line 4 (figuring my tax, rate schedule) that's stumping me

What is your filing status and what is the amount you entered on Line 3 of the W-4S?

married filing joint, $24,216

From the Form W-4S you would use Schedule Y-1 -
The tax to be reported on Line 4 of the Form W-4S is $1,905 plus 12% of the amount over $19,050
$24,216 (-) $19,050 = $5,166
$5,166 x 0.12 = $619.92

Tax reported on Line 4 - $1,905 + $619.92 - $2,524.92 (rounding up) $2,525

Thank you DoninGA. This form has been confusing me for weeks.

Are you able to help me with this same question? I'm trying to figure it out to submit for Paid Leave. 

@DoninGA are you able to help me with this as well? I'm trying to fill it out for a paid leave I will be taking so taxes come out and don't understand the table .

@Tasha11284 Assuming that you are not itemizing deductions on Schedule A then Line 1 and Line 3 of W-4S would be the same amount.

What is the amount on Line 3 and what is your Filing Status?

Single

Married Filing Jointly 

Married Filing Separately

Head of Household

@DoninGA @Single. I think it's 5,950 if I am doing it right. I have been only able to work part time since a severe car accident so gross earnings are lower this past year.

@Tasha11284 You would enter $595 for the taxes to be withheld.

@Tasha11284 I should have written $595 to be entered on Line 4 of the W-4S.  From there you can calculate how much should be withheld from each payment by following the instructions up through Line 10.

@DoninGA  ok, so I take that $595 and divide it by how many payments I'm expected to get? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions lol but looking at the worksheet it doesn't compute to me lol 

@Tasha11284 wrote:

@DoninGA  ok, so I take that $595 and divide it by how many payments I'm expected to get? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions lol but looking at the worksheet it doesn't compute to me lol 

Correct.  Divide $595 by the number of payments you expect to receive.  That would be amount to enter in the box of the Form W-4S labeled - 

I request federal income tax withholding from my sick pay payments. I want the following amount to be withheld from each payment.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies