turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crgr56

I am retired. I have two residences in different states. If I changed my drivers license from one state to the other state does that change my residency for tax purposes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnH2

I am retired. I have two residences in different states. If I changed my drivers license from one state to the other state does that change my residency for tax purposes?

Many states have residency rules that require more than 183 days in the state to be classified as a resident.  Some states, such as California, say that if you are in the state for other than a temporary purpose, you are a resident. Some states define a resident as a person who has a domicile in the state.   Changing your driver’s license would not have a major impact on your residency status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnH2

Many states have residency rules that require more than 183 days in the state to be classified as a resident.  Some states, such as California, say that if you are in the state for other than a temporary purpose, you are a resident. Some states define a resident as a person who has a domicile in the state.   Changing your driver’s license would not have a major impact on your residency status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies