Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already had 10% tax withheld when I withdrew from my Traditional IRA. Why do I have to pay 10% again?

I reported the withheld 10% amount on my Form 1099-R.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I already had 10% tax withheld when I withdrew from my Traditional IRA. Why do I have to pay 10% again?

If you were under the age of 59 1/2 when the funds were distributed from the IRA then there is a 10% early distribution penalty that will be assessed on your federal tax return and entered on the return as a tax liability.

Ok, so even though 10% was already withheld for taxes, an additional 10% gets withheld as a penalty? That makes more sense. I’m 52. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You have done this correctly by entering the tax withheld in box 4 of your form 1099-R.

As you are younger than 59 1/2, you will pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty, which will be calculated by TurboTax.

Tax withheld is just an estimated advance payment of your taxes. The final tax amount can only be determined when you fill out your tax return. The taxes withheld serve as a credit against your tax liability. If too much tax was withheld, you'll receive a refund; otherwise, there'll be a tax due.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Right...the 10% withheld when distributed, is just a pre-payment of the 10% penalty that is assessed in the calculations for your full tax return.  You get credit for it by entering all the boxes on the 1099-R  (box 4 is the Federal withholding done).  Of course, depending on your total income and tax situation, that 10% pre-payment may not have covered all the taxes you owe.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies