Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you file an abbreviated tax return on Turbotax to get stimulus check for "low income individuals" (*I have no 2019 income to file, no 2018 tax return was filed for the same reason, and I do not receive Social Security)?

Senior citizens, Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are not typically required to file tax returns will not need to file a tax return to get the government stimulus check (the economic impact checks due to COVID19).

The remaining groups — low income individuals, some veterans and people with disabilities — will still have to file an abbreviated tax return if they do not receive Social Security.

I am part of this remaining group; l do not make any income (currently a student) and I did not file 2018 tax return for the same reason. So I'd have to file an abbreviated tax return for 2019 in order to become eligible for stimulus check. How do I file this on Turbotax? If Turbotax do not provide this service, how and where can I file it?

**I'm not a tax dependent nor can be a dependent on my parent's tax return.

**Once again, I am NOT a 'Social Security Recipient' who can automatically receive the Economic Impact Payment.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How do you file an abbreviated tax return on Turbotax to get stimulus check for "low income individuals" (*I have no 2019 income to file, no 2018 tax return was filed for the same reason, and I do not receive Social Security)?

If you are not filing a 2019 tax return and you are not required to file a tax return and you do not receive Social Security benefits, then use this TurboTax website to register for the stimulus - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Social Security and Stimulus Payments

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm967

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

Please check back in several days--there is more information to come for your situation.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if you are a student, are you a tax dependent or CAN BE a dependent on your parent's tax return. IF yes, you are not eligible for the stimulus payment

No, I'm not a tax dependent nor can be a dependent on my parent's tax return.

I’m in a similar situation, and very interested in what I have to do to file 2018 and 2019. 

I did read somewhere that you could do a free file through the IRS, I assume that would be abbreviated but I’m not sure. 

Maybe doing two separate irs free files for 2018 and 2018, and just putting $0 in everything, would be enough? 

The last thing I want to do is submit something incorrectly and have the payment be delayed while I have to deal with fixing it .

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This TurboTax website will let you register if you don't need to file: CORONAVIRUS TAX CENTER: 2020 STIMULUS

Just select: If you don’t need to file your taxes this year

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It seems like Turbotax has the option to do it for free (abbreviated tax return) but I end up using the 'Free Tax USA' which provides free Federal and State filing.

I made a mistake of using the Turbotax $60 service before Turbotax put out the 'Free abbreviated' option for people. Because my income is $0, the Federal tax return they calculated came out as $0 as well and this made a huge problem because apparently they don't provide E-filing option for $0 tax return files. Instead the instructions on Turbotax said "they" will mail the hard-copy to the Federal directly. But this was not the case, after finalizing my Federal tax return and paying $60, it instructed me to print out the pages and mail it "myself".

I also filed for the State tax return and paid $50, and I selected it to be E-filed. But after finalizing it and paying $50, it stated that it has to be mailed by myself. I got very confused, so I checked the State tax return copy and it stated that New York State law requires income tax return prepared suing software to be e-filed ad that it MUST be filed electronically. I'm against the idea of mailing hard-copies to the Federal & State because of the danger of it getting lost and the delays on the filing process. So I basically wasted total of $110 for nothing.

There are other websites (such as the one I used, Free Tax USA) are much better in my opinion. Free Tax USA has the filing steps/process similar to the Turbotax and I only had to put everything as '$0' for both Federal & State, except for the education/tuition expenses. They were able to E-file everything for me and I just received an email saying the files were accepted by both Federal & State.

I hope this information helps for your tax files. Good luck!

Need to file please imI disabled

@William gilliard wrote:

Need to file please imI disabled

SSI is Supplemental Security Income.  SSI is not reported on a tax return.

If you are not filing a 2019 tax return and you are not required to file a tax return and you do not receive Social Security benefits, then use this TurboTax website to register for the stimulus - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099

If you receive Social Security benefits, see this US Treasury website - https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm967

Lozo615

Need a abbreviated tax form

what did you use when it asks fro EIN # Employer identification #?

How do u file abbreviated tax return

I'm am SSI recipient with direct deposit. Do I have to file an abbreviated tax return to receive a stimulus check? If so how do I do it? 

@Petersenmt62 wrote:

I'm am SSI recipient with direct deposit. Do I have to file an abbreviated tax return to receive a stimulus check? If so how do I do it? 

SSI is Supplemental Security Income.  SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099

If you receive Social Security benefits, see this US Treasury website - https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm967

I have been getting paid cash for side jobs do I qualify for taxes or stimulus check. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies