Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I submit supporting documents? TurboTax says I need to submit 1099-Bs, and 1099-Rs showing taxes withheld. Must I file the taxes as hard copies via USPS?

I also need to submit supporting documents.  Specifically, upload my tribal citizenship card, a copy of my rental lease, and be able to send a copy of my W2 for proof that I live, work, and am a citizen of a specific tribe on said tribes territory. It is for the Exempt Tribal Income deduction or exemption.  Any help is appreciated. 

How do I submit supporting documents? TurboTax says I need to submit 1099-Bs, and 1099-Rs showing taxes withheld. Must I file the taxes as hard copies via USPS?

@smithjulie596    That's for a state tax return.

You would need to specify which state you are dealing with....then someone with specific knowledge of that state would have to answer.

I don't know that TTX software will allow you to attach any extra PDF/pictures 

BUT

a)......Some states might allow you to E-file without attaching the documents, then you would hold on to those documents for a few years, to provide them only if the state decides to send you a letter asking for proof.

b) ...........Others may let you efile without them but require you to snail-mail in the proof documents separately to a special address after your efile has been accepted.

c) ...other states may require you to print/mail-file with the documents included.

...or, you may just need to call your own state's income tax department  and ask how they want it done.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

It is annoying that TurboTax does not allow PDFs to be electronically filed along with the return. There are certain items that sometimes need to be attached and are not included with the actual electronically file return. In Wisconsin for example we need to file a schedule DE in some cases and it’s not available in TurboTax so it has to be attached.

It looks like now that I have several 1099-R forms with Copy B required to be attached to my tax form, I will have to mail in a paper, and not use e-file. Looking at IRS form it says "Authorized IRS e-file Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to the receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer." Unfortunately, Turbo Tax does not have an attachment or upload option for Copy B of 1099-R.

@LB641 See my answer on your other post.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies