turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get Turbotax to stop treating my Roth 401K contribution as a Roth IRA contribution?

I have a code for Box 12 of AA: Designated Roth contributions under a 401(k) plan
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I get Turbotax to stop treating my Roth 401K contribution as a Roth IRA contribution?

Since your W-2 has your Roth 401(k) contributions in box 12, you do not enter those contributions anywhere else on the tax return.

The problem is that TurboTax is assessing a penalty as if I contributed too much based on the limits for a Roth IRA, not a 401(k)

@sallydyer57 wrote:

The problem is that TurboTax is assessing a penalty as if I contributed too much based on the limits for a Roth IRA, not a 401(k)

Back up...Are you also entering Roth IRA contributions in the section for IRA's along with having Roth 401(k) deferrals on the W-2?

What penalty is the program saying you will have?

All I entered was the amount and code (AA)in box 12 from my W-2. The penalty is 6% of the amount above $6000. My understanding is that a Roth 401(k) has a much higher contribution limit.

dmertz
Level 15

sallydyer57, somehow you've mistakenly entered this under Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.  Go back and remove the entry you made there.  It is not a Roth IRA contribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies