turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1099 B for 2016. 100% was moved to my IRA in April 2016 for 2015 return. Do I have to still pay tax on Capital Gain? How do I show it was used to invest in my IRA?

In order to invest into my IRA for 2015 tax return $6500, I had funds distributed from one of my Broker accounts.  I obviously need to input the Form 1099 B.  There was capital gain of $2,200 but I thought it wouldn't be taxable since it went directly to IRA?   If it isn't taxable how do I reflect that information into Turbo Tax so my taxes are reduced by said distribution.  If it is taxable, then I guess I bit off my nose to spite my face :(

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Form 1099 B for 2016. 100% was moved to my IRA in April 2016 for 2015 return. Do I have to still pay tax on Capital Gain? How do I show it was used to invest in my IRA?

If you got a 1099-B for this transfer, then this was a taxable event.

It all depends on how your broker handled this exchange. If he sold all the stocks that were in the investment account before he transferred them to your IRA, then you will have capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale.

If he simply transferred your holdings from your investment account into your IRA, then there would be no tax on the portion that represents the basis.

And here is the problem for the broker. You paid tax on the basis of your account, but you won't pay tax on the earnings and the unrealized gain until you report the income on your tax return. To simply transfer a portion of the account means that some of the money is pre-tax, and some is after-tax, and he knows you want to take a deduction for the full amount transferred. He solved the problem by cashing out your holdings, so everything becomes after-tax, and now you qualify for that tax deduction when you move it into your IRA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

If you got a 1099-B for this transfer, then this was a taxable event.

It all depends on how your broker handled this exchange. If he sold all the stocks that were in the investment account before he transferred them to your IRA, then you will have capital gains tax on the proceeds of the sale.

If he simply transferred your holdings from your investment account into your IRA, then there would be no tax on the portion that represents the basis.

And here is the problem for the broker. You paid tax on the basis of your account, but you won't pay tax on the earnings and the unrealized gain until you report the income on your tax return. To simply transfer a portion of the account means that some of the money is pre-tax, and some is after-tax, and he knows you want to take a deduction for the full amount transferred. He solved the problem by cashing out your holdings, so everything becomes after-tax, and now you qualify for that tax deduction when you move it into your IRA.

dmertz
Level 15

"If he simply transferred your holdings from your investment account into your IRA, then there would be no tax on the portion that represents the basis."

This is not permitted.  Regular contributions to an IRA must be in cash.  (And this cannot be an in-kind rollover contribution since the shares did not come from a qualified retirement account.)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies