Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
radasca

Do charitable contributions reduce federal taxable gross amount? last year they did not seem to, maybe I am missing something. I help 501(c)3 organizations $200 or so.

4 Replies
ScruffyCurmudgeon
Level 8

Do charitable contributions reduce federal taxable gross amount? last year they did not seem to, maybe I am missing something. I help 501(c)3 organizations $200 or so.

No!  Deductions are reported on Schedule A Itemized Deductions and reduce your Taxable Income but not your Gross Income nor your Adjusted Gross Income.

Charitable donations are reported if you Itemize Deductions (As opposed to using the so-called  Standard Deduction - Single @ $6,300. heads of household @ $9,300, and married couples filing jointly.$9,300).  If you do not itemize, it would not matter.  

Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Univ. faculty
NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on ;"Mark as Best Answer;"
radasca

Thank you for the answer. To clarify, as an example with fictitious numbers if you don't mind, my Dec pay stub says: "Total Gross YTD $92,000;" then "Fed Taxable Gross YTD $$85,000." If I itemize the charity donations of say $300, wouldn't the "Fed Taxable Gross" for the year be reduced by $300? Thanks again.
SweetieJean
Level 15

Only if your itemized deductions already exceed the Standard deduction listed in the answer above.
ScruffyCurmudgeon
Level 8

I repeat, Deductions do not reduce Gross Income.  Deductions reduce Taxable Income.   Gross Income is all taxable reported income.  Adjusted Gross is after certain specific allowances - such as Self-Employed Medical insurance.  Schedule A reduces AGI and leaves Taxable Income, after Exemptions.
Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Univ. faculty
NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on ;"Mark as Best Answer;"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v