Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

radasca

Do charitable contributions reduce federal taxable gross amount? last year they did not seem to, maybe I am missing something. I help 501(c)3 organizations $200 or so.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do charitable contributions reduce federal taxable gross amount? last year they did not seem to, maybe I am missing something. I help 501(c)3 organizations $200 or so.

No!  Deductions are reported on Schedule A Itemized Deductions and reduce your Taxable Income but not your Gross Income nor your Adjusted Gross Income.

Charitable donations are reported if you Itemize Deductions (As opposed to using the so-called  Standard Deduction - Single @ $6,300. heads of household @ $9,300, and married couples filing jointly.$9,300).  If you do not itemize, it would not matter.  

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
radasca

Thank you for the answer. To clarify, as an example with fictitious numbers if you don't mind, my Dec pay stub says: "Total Gross YTD $92,000;" then "Fed Taxable Gross YTD $$85,000." If I itemize the charity donations of say $300, wouldn't the "Fed Taxable Gross" for the year be reduced by $300? Thanks again.

Only if your itemized deductions already exceed the Standard deduction listed in the answer above.

I repeat, Deductions do not reduce Gross Income.  Deductions reduce Taxable Income.   Gross Income is all taxable reported income.  Adjusted Gross is after certain specific allowances - such as Self-Employed Medical insurance.  Schedule A reduces AGI and leaves Taxable Income, after Exemptions.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies