turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

info11

Can we claim medical deductions for receiving SSI benefits and pension benefits since 2011? Can my wife and I both take medical deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can we claim medical deductions for receiving SSI benefits and pension benefits since 2011? Can my wife and I both take medical deduction?

Yes it you have enough deductions to Itemize.  And you can only deduct the medical amount that's over 10% of your AGI.   But congress is working on making big tax changes so it may change.  

Are you getting ssi or regular SS or SSDI?  Does your health insurance come out of your pension checks?  It may be deducted pretax and then not deductible.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Yes it you have enough deductions to Itemize.  And you can only deduct the medical amount that's over 10% of your AGI.   But congress is working on making big tax changes so it may change.  

Are you getting ssi or regular SS or SSDI?  Does your health insurance come out of your pension checks?  It may be deducted pretax and then not deductible.

If you file a Joint return it doesn't matter who has the deductions.  It's not broken out by spouse.

Oh I hope you didn't mean all the amounts you paid since 2011.  You can only deduct what you paid during 2016.  You would have to amend any prior years to add it.

I just saw your other post.  Yes you can deduct part B.  If you enter it from your SSA-1099 it will automatically flow to schedule A Itemized Deductions.  Do do not enter it again under Medical.
info11

VolvoGirl, I did mean the amounts since 2011, but if I can just do 2016, then I will do that year and hopefully amend it later.  How many years can I go back?  Are you saying 10% of my adjusted gross income?  This includes a business, and I will be adding both of the medical deductions for my wife and I.

Oh for business that gets special treatment.  You can deduct self employed health insurance directly on 1040 line 29 without going through schedule A and meeting the 10% floor.

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 line 29, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

Medicare plan B payments are qualified as Self-employed medical insurance premiums and should be entered under Business instead of in the Social Security Benefits entry area.

Have you filed 2016 yet?  What version are you using? And Online or Desktop program?  I can tell you how to enter self employment health ins.
info11

I have not filed for 2016 yet.  In addition to the part B deductions from my benefits I also have regular medical deductions such as milage to and from the doctor and  some out of pocket deduction which I usually do not claim because they are not usually enough to claim, but by using the part B deductions I can claim the out of pocket medical payments but I don't have all the medical receipts for them.
info11

Did you get my last set of questions?  Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies