Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eccercone

COVID confusion. I reside in DC, but this year I spent several months in NY temporarily. Do I owe NY taxes? How can I talk to a tax advisor?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

COVID confusion. I reside in DC, but this year I spent several months in NY temporarily. Do I owe NY taxes? How can I talk to a tax advisor?

TurboTax is do-it-yourself tax preparation software.  TurboTax does not have tax advisors.

Did you earn income in New York?  If so, you will need to file a non-resident NY tax return for 2020.  Any NY taxes paid will be credited on your DC 2020 tax return since you will have to report the income earned in NY on the DC tax return.

Generally speaking, if your permanent residence is in DC (your domicile) and you temporarily lived and worked in New York state, then you will owe NY state tax on the money you earned while living in NY (and NYC taxes too, if you lived in the City).  You will owe DC taxes on all your income, but DC will give you a credit for the tax you paid in NY.

In Turbotax, you would file a NY  non-resident return and a DC resident return.  Prepare the NY non-resident return first so the tax credit flows correctly. Turbotax can handle this situation, or you may upgrade to the Turbotax Live Online version when it is available, or you can go to a tax pro elsewhere. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies