turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I withdraw the returns Jackson Hewitt did for me and do them through TurboTax since it's not January 28th and the IRS is accepting returns yet?

The IRS isn't accepting tax returns until January 28th. I started doing my taxes on TurboTax but didn't finish, I then went to Jackson Hewitt because I needed a refund advance yet after the lady did my taxes I was getting $500 less and they charged me over $400. So my question is this since it is not the 28th of January yet can I withdraw my taxes from Jackson Hewitt and still file through TurboTax? I also notified Jackson Hewitt that I wanted to cancel everything the next day but about two hours later I got an email saying they submitted them to the IRS however they have not been accepted by the IRS yet

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
EbonyL

Can I withdraw the returns Jackson Hewitt did for me and do them through TurboTax since it's not January 28th and the IRS is accepting returns yet?

You are not able to cancel or make any changes to your tax return once it has been filed and submitted to the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301669

I really wish you could, I have not went and signed yet and want to withdraw as they are charging me over 500 to do mine and I am only getting back 3000 something. It was a simple return, two kids, one job, basic stuff to me since I usually do my own. I wanted an advance and decided to go to them, but now I am like that is way too much to charge.

Hey this is my question as well. I went to Jackson hewitt for the go big loan and got my loan and everything. They did it with my w2. But the IRS isn't accepting forms until tomorrow can I file with turbo tax before them?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I do not know the terms and conditions associated with the loan product that you may have received through another company.  You would need to contact them to ask if you are required to file with them in order to pay back the loan proceeds.  

That being said, if your return has been filed, then it cannot be retrieved or cancelled.  It is the same as if you were filing by mail and you dropped your return in the box at the post office -- you cannot get it back.  

If the return has not been filed, then you can still use TurboTax to file your return.  However, using TurboTax will not pay off any advance or loan you received and you will still owe that money (and possibly interest and fees) to the other company.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As long as they did e file you can have them not file for you. Same happen with me i filed with a checkstub so nothing was finalized and i cancelled once i saw how much they were charging me. They wanted almost 600 and turbo is way cheaper and i got like 2000 more using turbotax

Yes, if you have not giving them your W2s. They can not by law process anything without the W2, now the loan situation I am not sure. 

By law they could not file a tax return with a check stub. They must have a W-2 in hand.

What they did was estimate a refund using the paycheck stub in order to get you a refund advance. But they can never file a return for you unless you sign for return to be filed which would be a form 8879.

So if a return was not filed with another company then you are free to file any way you wish with any company you choose even if you got an advance through them. Please read the plethora of paperwork that you got for the advance showing exactly what you must do to satisfy the loan. I'm sure that filing through them is not a requirement. If you chose to not get the advance and you walked away and nothing was filed. If something was filed without your permission and assigned 8879 form then you have the basis for a lawsuit. And by law they must give you a complete copy of your return including the 8879 that you signed. So if you did not get a copy of your return and you did not sign an 8879 then you did not file your return.

pbh5280

Hi, i'm in the same boat except they suggested i file separate and use a different address than my wife. I didn't understand why ( know nothing about filing taxes, thats why i went there) after speaking with a professional on here, i realize they were trying to get us to commit fraud which isn't something we want to do at all! 

How did you cancel? I don't even want to go back there i'm so angry.  

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You cannot cancel the filing of your tax return once it has been submitted by the tax preparer. If you have not signed the 8879 form yet, it is unlikely it was filed. If you did sign the form, you can ask the preparer if it was filed and request the documentation indicating that it had been filed. If it wasn't filed, you can request the preparer not file the return. @pbh5280 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies